Friday, October 5, 2012

Exodus


Exodus Homework

  1. What do you see in this book that tells you about the Original Reader?
Exodus was written to the second generation Israelites after the Exodus from Egypt around 1442. They might have been children when it happened or were even born after. Coming out of Egypt after 400 years, the people would have the slave mentality bread into them, so they were known to be very unsure of themselves. (14:11-12) They have never had to govern themselves, never had to provide for their families, and did not even know how to worship their own God properly because they had been raised in the Egyptian way. 

In fact, they eagerly adopt Moses as their leader (unless they decide to get whiney about him) and put almost too much pressure on him to direct their every step. When Moses leaves even for a little bit, they fall apart not knowing what to do. (32:1-6)

2. What do you see in this book that tells you about the author?

Because this is written first hand from Moses, there is a lot that can be perceived through the text. We know that he was a Hebrew raised as an Egyptian prince, well educated, but fully aware of his heritage due to being nursed by his mother. (2:8-9) Inbred in him is the desire to stand up for his people as can be seen in his attempt to protect a slave, resulting in the killing of a man. (2:11-12) Through his exile into Midian, the Lord molds Moses into the man he is called to be.

Throughout the story of Exodus, we watch Moses go from insecure and unwilling,(3:11) to having perhaps the most intimate relationship with the Lord that and man has had. We see him sit down and have a meal with God (24:11), see with his own eyes the “back” of the Lord (33:18-23), and even see him calm the Lord down many times as he intercedes for the people (32:11-14). Moses even had to wear a veil to cover the glow that the glory of the Lord left upon his face (34:29-35). 

Moses was a very patient man putting up with the people of Israel in their own insecurities and unknown times, but he also shared a heart for righteousness with the Lord his God. He acted as a mediator for the people and a voice for his God.

3. What are the main themes and repeated ideas in this book, and what is a one sentence summary of the main idea?

The book of Exodus is the story of God’s plan for redemption as he brought his people out of Egypt and set a standard by which to live in order for Him to dwell among them as he begins to reveal himself to his people. 

Throughout the book of Exodus, God is not only trying set a standard for a people that have never governed themselves, but he is also is also reestablishing his authority. He is starting from scratch in implanting a fear of the Lord among them. 
I also find it cool that God chooses specific people, perhaps not likely, to fulfill his plans. Moses was exiled from Egypt, a shepherd that could hardly speak. But the Lord chose him for his divine purposes. Likewise, through all the intimate details of building of the Tent of meeting, The Lord specifically names those who he has gifted to see the task through (36:1). He always makes a way for his will to be done for the good of the people. 

4. What is the primary reason this book was written?

This book was written in order that the Israelites might remember how the Lord brought them out of Egypt and established them as a nation. Through out the book, we see God revealing to his people who He is, opposing the many Egyptian myths that they had taken away from their slavery. Through the many laws and details, you see the Lord’s desire to make a way to draw near to his people and live among them.  

5. What does this book show about the Character and Nature of God?

Throughout this book, we see the Lord reestablishing who He is to his people. We watch as the Lord went before them in a pillar of cloud and fire, but note the significance in meaning when the Lord settles down as fire between the pursuing Egyptians and the Israelites as they are crossing the river. This great show of power also proves to the people that this is a loving God who is going to stand between them in times of need. He is a rescuer and protector. (14:19-20)

He shows that while just and holy, He is also patient in mercy and willing to bend his ear to the pleading of those who love him. It would have been simple for the Lord to wipe out the people as they worshipped the newly built calf, but the Lord listened to the please of Moses and relented (32:11-14). He even rewrote the tablets that Moses smashed in anger. (34:1)

He is a compassionate God, valuing human life above all else on earth. This can easily be seen through his many laws regarding slavery (in the form of protection and provision from a loving master (21:1-11)) and in the value of women who have been treated as worthless in other societies (22:16-17).

6. What does this book show you about God’s redemptive plan for mankind?

This is a story about how the Lord longs for the redemption of his people. His ultimate desire is for intimacy and relationship with his creation. He hears their cry and rescues them from Egypt, but by establishing the passover feast, he is pointing them towards the redemption that is to come in His son. 

Through the specific details that the Lord provides for both ceremonial rituals and the Tent of Meeting, God is trying to make it possible to dwell among his people. It won’t be easy and it’s going to take a lot of work through years and years to come. But He longs to dwell among his people and this is the first step in his ultimate plan.

7. Personal Application

“But Moses said to God ‘ Who am I that i should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?... Oh my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.... Oh my Lord, please send someone else.”

Much like Moses, I grew up with a passion for setting captives free. From when I was fourteen, I knew that that’s exactly what I’ve wanted to do with my life. My deepest desire has always been simply to be used by God in a great way for his story. But much like Moses, this is something I’ve attempted in my own strength. I’m a very driven and passionate person and it’s not in me to give less than 100% of myself in any circumstance. But I’ve learned that even my 100% isn’t enough.

And now here I am in Kona, finally starting this journey that I have been praying for my entire life and I’m so scared at what’s before me. I know I can’t do this. I know I’m inept.  Even just with this next outreach that’s coming up in December, I’m so scared to go. I’m traveling with a medical team that has been studying together intensely for months. What can I possibly bring to the table?

And much like Moses, I’ve been coming up with any excuse I can to see if I can get out of it. “God PLEASE send me to Israel. It’s been my dream for such a long time to study your word and your history where it happened! And now the opportunity is at my doorstep and I have to say no?” I’ve even pray to God to just let me go home. But I know beyond a doubt that when the Lord says to go, I need to go and trust in him to take care of the rest. As much as I’ve wished lately to just be a background player experiencing His amazing works from the sidelines, I know that He has called me to more. 

I don’t put myself on the same level as Moses even a little bit. I know that my part in His story won’t go down in history books, my name most likely won’t be known to the demons like Paul’s. But Moses was willing to be used for whatever the Lord had in mind for him, and it’s time for me to step out in confidence He knows what He’s doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment