Friday, October 5, 2012

Job


Job Homework

What do you see in this book that tells you about the Original Reader?

The format and timing of this book point that this story was possibly passed down orally from generation to generation through time. It most likely took place approximately 100 years after the time of the Patriarchs. If written by Moses as some suspect, the story would have been intended for the Israelites after the exodus. They would possibly have felt like they were in deep suffering in this time. If not for the people at this specific time, it was copied down for the people of God none the less.

                                   What do you see in this book that tells you about the author?

It is unknown who actually wrote it the book. Some think Moses is the author, in which case it would be written for the people of Israel after they came out of Egypt. Others believe that due to the wisdom literature format, it was possibly written by Solomon. 

What are the main themes and repeated ideas in this book, and what is a one sentence summary of the main idea?

Job discusses the age old question of “why do bad things happen to good people?” in which God shows not only his sovereignty and justice, but his goodness in a way that Job can praise God because he loves him, not because of what the Lord has done for him.

The main theme of Job explores the question of how suffering should be received. Does Job love God for what has been given to him? Or does he love his simply for love’s sake? Through losing everything he valued in life, through the physical torment, Job exclaims “ I have come naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The Lord gave me what I had and the Lord has taken it away. Praise the name of the Lord!” (1:20-21)

Through Job’s friends and their “not so helpful” advice, we see many world views portrayed. While they feel that they are speaking wisdom to him, we find conflict in the many views of the character of God. While Job admits that some of it appears as sound logic, it does not sit right with what he knows to be true about his God (9:2-4). The entire book is a debate concerning God’s true character. 

But perhaps one of the deepest themes through the book of Job is that of God’s justice. Job wrestles with wrapping his head around this concept from the moment the first piece of bad news is delivered. While many today see the basis of justice as protecting human life and innocence on this earth, Job learns that God’s justice goes far beyond the here and now. It extends into the ends of eternity and God acts as judge to the very end. Job and his friends eventually learn that their perspectives of our time and rewards here are minimal (40:4-5).

What is the primary reason this book was written?

The book of Job was written to paint a picture of God’s character for the Israelites. Most importantly so show them the idea that God is not carrying out his judgement for sin when suffering happens. Instead the people see this image of an enemy that causes the suffering of the world (1:6-12). 

What does this book show about the Character and Nature of God?

God is a good God. He is not a God that longs to bring judgement on his people for their sin. He’s not waiting for a screw up in order to bring down his wrath. Nor is He able to be manipulated into action by our own rituals and ceremonies like many of Job’s friends implied (11:13-15). Instead, he is a God that brings blessing down upon his people. He can take even the worst of situations and bring forth good. 

Likewise, He is just, and not always in the way that we would think. But through his sovereignty and his holy view of eternity, he judges rightly. 

What does this book show you about God’s redemptive plan for mankind?

We see in this book, firstly that God does have a plan simply because he desires relationship. God doesn’t work through reaction to circumstances, he initiates them for his own purposes and his purposes are moving towards redemption. We see Job long for a mediator to allow him to bring his case before God (16:21). This is something that the Lord see’s and longs to honor. It is a foreshadowing of not only the ceremonial rituals that he puts in place, but the ultimate and final mediator of Jesus Christ. 

Personal Application

It’s easy for us to look at Job’s friends and judge them for their horrible advice and the inconsiderate approach in telling him what they think. But what would I do in that situation? I want to say that I would have a little more tact, but sometimes I wonder how I would advise my friends. Would I use my recent experiences or what I know has worked in the past? Would I try to fix every problem?

I hope that I can remember the story of Job and know that there is so much more worth in sitting down and praying together to see what God says. And to go even further, just straight up listening. I love helping people and I’m always one to do what I can to fix things. But you just don’t know if you’re helping or hurting unless you’re in the heart of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment