Friday, October 5, 2012

Genesis


Genesis Homework

1. What do you see in this book that tells you about the Original Reader?

The book of Genesis was written originally for the Israelites after their Exodus from Egypt through Moses. The many details of geographical locations as well as names and genealogies would not only be something that they understood, but related to. It was familiar to them.

They are just coming out of 400 years of slavery and therefore have a very skewed view of the world around them, as well as of their own God. Their self worth would be menial and it would possibly be difficult to step out of the slave mentality that they have always known. It is likely that they would view the Lord, or their master, as they viewed their Egyptian masters while in bondage. 

In the same way, the Egyptian gods had worked their way into the beliefs of the Israelites. They were raised in a polytheistic society that taught that even the pharaohs were deity. In an attempt to explain the world around them, the Egyptians assigned a god for everything they saw on earth and how the world came into being. This likely bore into the faith of God’s chosen people even after he sent a deliverer. 

2. What do you see in this book that tells you about the author?

Although technically anonymous (there is no “signature” so to speak), it is widely accepted that the book of Genesis was written by Moses. Jesus himself speaks of this, as well as Stephen in the new testament, offering a form of evidence (. The Pentateuch (first five books of the Bible) are often referred to as the books of Moses. 

Throughout the text, you definitely get a feel for the intimacy between Moses and the Lord, especially in the ways the Lord interacts with his people. It’s very familiar. For Moses to be able to add this to the account, it would certainly be more than simple history that he was portraying. Take for example The Creation Story in Genesis 1-3. There is great emotion in the heart of God when he creates. He sees that his creation is good (1:31). You see him desire relationship in the creation of man and you get a sense of his heart breaking when man falls away (3:13). Through this, we get an insight into Moses and how intimately he knew the Lord. 

3. What are the main themes and repeated ideas in this book, and what is a one sentence summary of the main idea?

Genesis is the story of the Creator’s heart to draw his chosen people back to himself and his faithfulness to fulfill his promises to his people, whether through their obedience or their mistakes. 

All throughout Genesis I’m am reminded of God’s faithfulness. Whether in his covenant with Abraham (12:2-3) or even in using Joseph’s unusual circumstances, he always fulfills his promises. In the same way, God is determined to show his people that He is for them, not against them. Even when Abraham didn’t trust God and instead left Nigev and went to Egypt, God came and cleaned up his mess and brought him back (12:10-20).

This idea of faithfulness in every circumstance is so evident to me in the Cutting Covenant that the Lord walks through with Abraham. By keeping Abraham from walking through the blood, The Lord promises that even with out Abraham keeping his side of the covenant, knowing he will never be able to keep the law, God will always fulfill his promise. (5:7-21)

Another theme that is seen through out Genesis comes in the apologetic nature that the book is written. God distinctly wants his people to know the value that he holds on their life (9:6). (The use of the word breathe in hebrew within the creation story differs between creation of humanity and everything else. He breathes spirit into them as opposed to just coming to be.) They are not mistakes as the Egyptians have told them, they are the Chosen people of the most high God and he longs for restoration to himself.

4. What is the primary reason this book was written?

The Israelites are just coming out of 400 years of slavery in Egypt. They have been told that they are worthless, their God has been mixed with the gods of the land, and many do not even know or believe in the promises of their people. God wrote the book of Genesis through Moses to show the people who they are, and even more important, who He is. He is reconciling myths and legends of where they came from and building a foundation of who they are as a people based on the righteousness and faithfulness of a loving God who values them. 

5. What does this book show about the Character and Nature of God?

Firstly, God is establishing to his people that He is the Creator (1-3). There are not many gods, but one sovereign God and King who has created everything they see. Perhaps even more insightful, we see into who God is through the idea that we as humans are made in his image.

We see God’s emotions when he observes his creation as good and then again as he grieves over the need for judgement in the form of a flood (6:6). These personal insights into his heart show not only the nature of who he is, but His character. He is seen as a loving, yet just God. There is a need for judgement, but he listens to the cries of his people. As Abraham intercedes on behalf of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Lord lends his ear and listens (18:22-33). 

6) What does this book show you about God’s redemptive plan for mankind?

But perhaps the greatest indicator of his character can be found in His plan for redemption. Even at the moment sin entered the world, the Lord had a plan to bring his people back to himself (3:15). He makes a covenant with Abraham because of his obedience, and the Lord see’s it through. We see glimpses into this plan through Abraham’s sacrifice of Isaac and the Lord’s intervention and provision. He knows that any sacrifice that we give will not do, so he provides his own (22:9-14). 

Every act of faithfulness is walking towards the ultimate redemption of His people.

7) Personal Application 

“Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation.”

This is something that hits very close to home for me at the moment. I love being here in Kona. I love YWAM. In fact, this is exactly what I have always dreamed of doing with my life and I’m so blessed for God to allow me to be a part of what He’s doing through the nations. But at the moment, my future feels very uncertain. Don’t get me wrong, God has given us a vision and I fully trust in Him to see it through. We have the end results in mind, but the path he takes us to get there is completely uncharted.

Perhaps the hardest part in all of this is finding my own personal role. I know what I’m passionate about. I know the strengths and the heart that he’s given me. But so far, every opportunity to pursue these things has fallen through. Money isn’t coming in like we hoped. (Although He has always been faithful to provide what we need.) So while I’m happy to just walk when and where he tells me, I wish I had some sort of direction for what I can bring to His story.

In the midst of this, I find myself leaving everything near and dear to my heart and coming to Hawaii. I left an incredible job with an absolutely amazing group of friends, a family that I can’t live without and miss dearly, and my dog who just happens to be my best friend on this planet. I’ve had quite a few moments the past couple nights wishing for a good puppy cuddle.

But all this doesn’t even compare to the leap that Abram took in leaving his home. The Lord didn’t even tell him where to go. He said pack up, start walking, and I’ll let you know when you get there.

And he obeyed. 

God showed himself truly faithful through Abrams obedience. It was in the leap with unanswered questions that the Lord proved himself. In many ways, I feel the same. As unsure as I am, if I’m told to do something, it’s not in me to say no; no matter the cost. I’m here to fight for the heart of my King and that always requires sacrifice. But seeing Abram walk out blindly and into the promises of God gives me so much hope. 

I know God honors that. 

Now my prayer for this next season in life is to not fall out of trust with my God as Abram did. He left where God told him to go and went to Egypt. It seemed logical to him to survive and I can very easily see myself falling into that way of thinking, especially once we start having a family (in the far, FAR future!). But it’s so good to know that even if I fall through, even if I want to run away and go back to what’s easy and comfortable, my God is faithful. He’s faithful, and through that, my own faith increases. I know that we’ll make it through, even when the steps are unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment