Friday, November 9, 2012

Hosea


Hosea Homework

1. Write one paragraph explaining the historical background and purpose of the book.

Hosea was a prophet during the last six kings of Israel before they fell to the Assyrians (1:1). Hosea was very unique in the fact that God used his entire life as a picture of the Lord’s relationship with his people. In chapter 1 verse 2, God tells Hosea to go and marry a prostitute and even allows her to conceive and give birth outside of that marriage. Through this picture, the reader is given a very relatable picture to the heart of God as he people prostitute themselves to other gods. This might be a new concept for teh original reader. Many of the prophets at the time are proclaiming woe on the people, and rightly so. However, this could seem as God was simple any angry God that needed to be appeases. Instead, the people get a picture that they are breaking the Lord’s heart as Gomer broke Hosea’s. God calls out at the end of the book urging his people to turn back to him saying “O Israel, stay away from idols! I am the one who answers your prayers and cares for you. I am like a tree that is always green; all your fruit comes from me.” (14:8) It is a book about God’s tender love and mercy for his people. 

2. What does this book show of the Character and Nature of God as well as His plan for redemption?

The book of Hosea presents a very passionate, father hearted God that perhaps has not been seen in such depth before Hosea’s imagine of it. In 11:3 we get this incredible image as the Lord says “I myself taught Israel how to walk, leading him along by the hand. But he doesn’t know or even care that it was I who took care of him.” And again, we are able to see into the Lord’s heart as he says “Oh how can I give you up, Israel? How can I let you go?” (11:8). His heart is broken for his people! Yet in the same way, even though his heart is broken, He offers redemption to his people. He wants to bring these prostitute people back to himself. (2:14-15)

3. Point of Passion

I’m just so floored at reading this book and looking at the life of Hosea. But I wonder what it means for the family. So many families today fall into adultery and the second it happens, we turn to divorce. In fact, we consider that the right thing to do, even in the church. But looking at this, I wonder. If husbands were really to love their wives as Christ loved the church, he loved the church even through the times she turns from him. She is always invited back. And this goes both ways with husbands that stray as well. It’s just definitely something to think about. Jesus talks about no limit to forgiveness. So where does this fall in adultery in marriage. 

Perhaps the most important point to pick out of Hosea for family and marriage however, is to not stray into adultery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment