Thursday, November 8, 2012

Jonah


Jonah Homework

1. Write one paragraph explaining the historical background and purpose of the book.

Jonah is most likely autobiographical and took place during the reign of Jeroboem II over Israel. It is important as a reader to understand the Assyrians during this time. They were known to be the most gruesome, vicious, war based society of the time. Everything was based around war, and Nineveh was their capital. These are the people that Jonah was supposed to declare judgement on. Yikes. 

Through the book of Jonah, we see that God wants to have grace and mercy on even the most sinful people of the age. God’s compassion breaks through even Jonah’s prejudice. God’s words in 4:11 show his heart even for those that we would never expect to deserve it. 

2. What does this book show of the Character and Nature of God as well as His plan for redemption?

God breaks through the misguided concept of other religions in the time that stated that all the gods are territorial. Instead, we learn that the one true God is God no matter where you go. Jonah tried to run away and escape to where the Lord couldn’t find him, but he was with him even in the belly of a fish (2:6-7). In the same way, God can take every one of our mistakes, intentional or not, and use it for the good of his people. Jonah ran away, and although it almost meant death for the people on that ship, they actually vowed to serve him and turned their ways (1:15-16). 

We see that God is not only a God of foreigners, but wants redemption for even those that we see as too far gone. He cares for all people and desires to bring them back to himself. It’s for this reason that he has mercy on Jonah, even after he tries to run away, and proclaims his message of forgiveness over Nineveh (3:10).

3. Application

It’s so funny how often we hear the story of Jonah, yet no one really discusses what happens at the end with the leafy plant (Chapter 4). But this definitely struck home for me. How often do we get blessed with something so incredible that we should deserve. Yet when it’s taken from us, we rush into “entitlement” mode and get mad at God for taking it away. Think of finances for instance. I struggle with this so much. I don’t want to give nearly $20,000 that I’ve worked hard to earn and raise over to 6 months. That’s so hard to deal with. But I have to come to terms with the fact that the money was never mine to begin with. Even the money I earned with my own time and effort was gained only because the Lord gave me the capabilities to earn it. This was humbling passage to read. I relate to Jonah. I feel like he fought God and ran from God and was selfish and had wrong perspectives. I feel like this rather often. But God still used Jonah to change the face of a nation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment