Friday, November 9, 2012

Obadiah


Obadiah Homework

1. Write one paragraph explaining the historical background and purpose of the book.

The book of Obadiah was written just after the invasion of the Babylonians in Judah. They have had a long term feud with the Edomites who were the decedents of Esau, and therefore relatives of the people. Even as the Babylonians where invading the people, the Edomites were going in and pillaging the land, even turning many of the escaping people over to Babylon (1:11). The people of Judah saw them as despicable enemies and wanted vengeance.

However, the book of Obadiah shows how God is still going to fight for his people and take vengeance himself. It even gives off a “big brother vibe” in the way God speaks of tearing them down even though they see themselves as strong. (1:4 )God promises great destruction but makes its very clear as to why. “Because of the violence that you did to your close relatives in Israel, you will be filled with shame and destroyed forever.” (1:10) And then he puts the cherry on top by proclaiming that “...Jerusalem will rule over the mountains of Israel and the Lord himself will be king!”

2. What does this book show of the Character and Nature of God as well as His plan for redemption?

God stands up for his people and for justice! He clearly states his reasons for the destruction that is brought on the Edomites (1:10-14) and it is within his power to execute justice. However, for the original reader, they get a great glimpse of the God that is in support of them. He is on their side (1:15-16). And although they are being led into exile, he is still with them and wants to bring redemption.

3. Application

I loved reading this. I totally see a Father heart through it. You have a kid that is in serious trouble, yet in the middle of your punishment on them, their brother walks up and joins in pridefully. But you see the dad rise up and say “Hey I’m gonna do what needs to be done here, but that gives you no right to come and pile it on with your brother. You’re even worse and I’ll deal with you when I’m done here. And you’re gonna wish you had gotten their punishment when its said and done.”

I like knowing that that’s the God on my side. That that’s my dad. I make mistakes more often than I don’t and God often has to humble me because I’m very headstrong. But I like knowing that even in all that, he’s got my back against those who may be plotting against me. It’s not up to me to defend myself. I have my own defender and he’s much bigger than anyone else. 

3 comments:

  1. like reading your stuff, your very honest and mindful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanna this is wonderful! I loved your personal application you put in a very relate able way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, girl. I can totally hear your your voice as you talk in your application. I love the example of the nagging brother who makes fun of the other brother who has just gotten in trouble. HUMOROUS!

    ReplyDelete