Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Esther


Esther Homework

1. Write one paragraph explaining the historical background and purpose of the book.

Esther is a real life fairy tale like we’ve never known. The book of Esther, author unknown but most likely jewish, was written in the time when the Jews had come out of exile, although many chose to remain in Persia (1:1). They people who remained were burdened with the idea that the Lord was no longer with them. Many of them felt abandoned by God. Although God is not actually mentioned in the book of Esther, he can be seen all throughout this tale. It begins by portraying the brutality of the persian king and through this (1:22), God creates circumstances to arrange his people where he wants them to be.  We see his favor still remains on His people and he will take care of them. 

We can easily see the hand of God in the lives of both Mordecai and Esther. Mordecai sums up the message of this book as he encourages a fearful Esther to come before the king in order to save the lives of her people that are headed for slaughter (4:7-9). Yes, it might be dangerous, but “who knows if perhaps you were made queen for such a time as this?” (4:14)In the midst of fear and with the lives of her people on the line, her cousin reminds her that the Lord is still sovereign and he still protects his people (4:14). He knows what he is doing and it’s her decision whether or not she will act on it. And then we get a glimpse into the humble and selfless character of Esther as she submits and declares “I will go in and see the king. If I must die, I must die.” (4:16)

2. What does this book show of the Character and Nature of God as well as His plan for redemption?

Through the book of Esther, God is showing his favor and faithfulness to the people (9:1-10). He is protective over them, even in exile. And over all, God is sovereign over all the kingdoms and powers of the world (10:3). He will fight for his people. The people are able to look at Esther as they celebrate Purim, and remember that God is good and his great mercy endures forever. 

3. Application

I love fairy tales. I love Disney, probably more than any grown woman should. (Although I’m certainly not ashamed!) And it was so exciting to read Esther. She’s a strong, brave, young girl that is put into an incredibly mature situation. But the hero of the story is so clearly God. He’s the hero, the one that saves, and when it came down to it Esther just had to listen and obey. 

What an incredible fairy tale we are all in! And we can choose our own part. Will you be the heroin, not always prissy princess, or will the be the one who opposes the King and hero of our story? As for me, I want to think like Esther. “I’m on your side God, I’m going to do what you say, and if I die, I die!!”

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love fairy tales too! Anything romantic always captures my attention, so it's great that God is the one romancing us and rescuing us in times of distress. I love thinking of my life like a fairy tale. Great application, Leeanna! I really connected with it!

    ReplyDelete