Friday, November 9, 2012

Habakkuk


Habakkuk Homework 

1. Write one paragraph explaining the historical background and purpose of the book.

Habakkuk is a very unique book that is written during the time of Jehoiakim’s rule over Judah. He was a very wicked king and the people were immersed in pagan practices and sin. Yet instead of proclaiming to the people, Habakkuk comes before God asking why he would let such sin run rampant through his people (1:2-4). God answers this clearly by saying that he will not simply let it run it’s course, but he has a plan to bring destruction on the people (1:5-11). In response to this, Habakkuk wonders why the Lord would be so quick to completely wipe out his people by the hand of pagan people (1:12-2:1). But God finally answers by declaring that judgement will fall on Babylon as well (2:2-20).

Through this conversation, Habakkuk falls back into awe and wonder at God’s might (3:1-19). It’s as though these questions that he brought before God were not simply of himself, but all the righteous in the nation. God was answering for his people so that they would understand that he is indeed still in control. It was comforting for them to know. God was instilling a fear of the Lord into Habakkuk and therefore the people of Judah.  

2. What does this book show of the Character and Nature of God as well as His plan for redemption?

God is Sovereign and God is personal (3:17-19). He’s still there, watching out for what is best for his people even when it seems like he is sitting idle. And in the midst of this, we see a picture of his great mercy and redemption in bringing judgment on Babylon as well (2:6). Even in their destruction, he will bring justice on the people that rise against Judah in their pride. His power and might are proclaimed over all the earth! (3:8-11)

3. Application

I loved reading Habakkuk because I absolutely related to the writing style. I know that that’s kind of weird, butI feel like my conversations with God go very similarly. I hear the voice of God best when I have a pen in my hand and as I’m writing, you can literally see a conversation between two people. My questions and his answers. So this was a very cool book to read and relate too. Often it seems like we can’t bring our questions before the Lord. That it would be disrespectful or not trusting him to wonder why we’re missing him or what he’s doing. But He met Habakkuk. He gave him answers. And in turn, this brought Habakkuk back to his knees in prayer. This is how the Lord speaks in my life and I am comforted to know that I can come to him with anything. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you write out your conversations with God! I just recently heard of that through a speaker and loved the idea! I've only done it a few times but it is so worth it! God really does answer which is crazy but so awesome!

    ReplyDelete